Shivaji University, Kolhapur
Syllabus For Master of Arts In Jainology and Prakrit
1. TITLE: Subject: M. A. In Jainology and Prakrit
Compulsory under the Faculty of Social Sciences
2. YEAR OF IMPLEMENTATION: New Syllabus will be implemented from October 2009 onwards.
The Board of Studies should briefly mention foundation, core and applied
components of the course/paper. The student should get into the prime objectives and
expected level of study with required outcome in terms of basic and advanced
knowledge at examination level.
4. GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE/ PAPER/:
1) To acquaint with the Jain Darshan.
2) To Study the life and work of Tirthankaras & Acharya Parmpara.
3) To Study Jain literature, Art & Architecture.
4) To Study Jain Inscription in India.
5 )Research in various branches of Jainology.
6) To Study Prakrit literature & Grammar.
7 ) To Study the role of Jain community in various fields.
8) To Study the role of Jain community in Modern Perspective.
9) To Study the position & Status of Jain Women.
The duration of course is two years. i. e. M. A. I & II
Annual Examination will be held.
7. TEACHERS QUALIFITION-
Teaching Staff has to be qualified with M. A. M. Phil Or M. A. Ph. D. in the subject History, Philosophy, Prakrit, Ardhamagadhi.
8. ELIGIBILITY FOR ADMISSION:-
1 Graduate with Social sciences. (Philosophy, History, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Prakrit, Ardhamagdhi, Sanskrit) from any recognized University.
2 Graduate with any Faculty from any recognized University. (But Candidate has to complete P.G. Diploma Course in Jainology and Prakrit from Bhagwan Mahaveer Chair, Shivaji University, Kolhapur).
10. MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION:
The medium of instruction will be in Marathi for M.A.Course.
11. STRUCTURE OF COURSE-
FIRST YEAR (NO.OF PAPERS 4)
Sr.No. Subjects Marks
J P 1 History of Jainism In India 100
J P 2 Prakrit Literature: Shourseni and Ardhamagadi 100
J P 3 Study of Special Authors : Kundkundacharya and Haribhadrasuri 100
J P 4 Prakrit Grammar and Linguistic 100
SECOND YEAR (NO.OF PAPERS 4)
Sr.No. Subjects Marks
J P 5 History of Jainism in Maharashtra 100
J P 6 Contribution of Jainism to Indian Culture 100
J P 7 Jain Philosophy 100
J P 8 Jain Literature ( Bhagvati Aradhana and 100
12. SCHEME OF EXAMINATION :-
1. The M.A. (Jainology and Prakrit) Course will have 8 papers.( four Papers every year) Each paper carrying 100 marks. Thus, entire examination shall be of 800 total marks.
2. The system of examination would be Annual. The examination shall be conducted at the end of each Year.
13. STANDARD OF PASSING:-
1. In order to pass the course, a Candidate has to clear all the 8 heads of passing by getting a minimum of 40% in each head.
2. Division will be as follows -
50% and above but less than 60% -II Class
60% and above but less than 70% -II Class
70% and above -I Class with distinction
14. NATURE OF QUESTION PAPER AND SCHEME OF MARKING:-
There will be five questions. Each question carrying 20 marks. All questions will be compulsory.
SHIVAJI UNIVERSITY, KOLHAPUR
M. A. (Jainology and Prakrit)
PAPER NO.--- Paper Title------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instruction: 1) All questions are compulsory. 2) All questions carry equal marks.
Question No 1. : Objective type questions 20 Marks
Question No 2. : Write short notes on the following: (Any four out of Six) 20 Marks
Question No 3. : Descriptive type question with internal choice 20 Marks
Question No 4. : Descriptive type question with internal choice 20 Marks
Question No 5. : Descriptive type question with internal choice 20 Marks
15. OTHER FEATURES
1. INTAKE CAPACITY / NUMBNER OF STUDENTS
M. A. Part I : 25
M. A. Part II : 25
Important Note: The Criteria for commencement of the course is the enrollment of minimum 25 students.
2. STUDY CENTRE:
The Centre for Distance Education will establish a Study Centre to counsel and guide the candidates through out the duration of the Course by organizing Contact Sessions. The places of Sub Centers will be notified in due course.
Syllabus for M. A. in Jainology & Prakrit
J P 1 History of Jainism In India
Unit I Antiquity of Jainism
a) Sindhu Sanskriti & Jainism
b) Vrashabnath to Mahaveer
History of Jainism in Ancient Time
b) Religion and Society
Jain Educational Centres
a) Features of Jain Educational Centres
b) Vallabhi, Takshasila, Vaishali
Jain Religion during Muslim Period
a) Sultanate Period
b) Mughal Period
Spread Of Jainism In South India
a) Bhadrabhau & Chandrugupta
b) Pushpadant & Bhutbali
Jian States & Kings In South India
a) Kharvel and Amoghwarsh
b) Silahara State
Jain Religious Centres In Medieval Times
b) Mudbidri and Karkal
Institutions in Modern Times
a) Dakshin Bharat Jain Sabha
b) Modern Gurukul system